Five neurology experts join CNS specialist’s scientific advisory board to support clinical trial development of disease modifying drug candidates
Barcelona, Spain, January 11, 2021 – Accure Therapeutics, a private translational R&D engine at clinical stage in the Central Nervous System (CNS) field, today announces the appointment of five world-class neurology experts to its scientific advisory board. They will help boost innovation and advocate for Accure Therapeutics, as the company drives the advancement of its clinical trials and the development of new treatments.
“We are proud and delighted with the appointment of our expert scientific advisory board members; each of whom is a highly experienced pioneer within his field of expertise. Their exceptional skills, talent and experience will help us to steer and refine the direction of our development. Their combined connections in academia and industry will help us establish instrumental partnerships,” said Pablo Villoslada, CSO of Accure Therapeutics.
Accure Therapeutics, a European company with an international mindset, already has in its portfolio three new chemical entities, potential disease-modifying drug candidates because they address key dysregulations in CNS biology, with the potential to accommodate more. It is one of the few EU companies that operate in an agnostic fashion on initial science to deliver new disease modifying drugs in CNS. The latest scientific advisory board appointments will strengthen the company’s vision and future plans.
The appointees are:
- Stephen L. Hauser – Neurologist and former chairman of neurology at UCSF (University of California, San Francisco), current director of the UCSF Weil Institute for Neuroscience. Pioneered genetics research in multiple sclerosis and anti-CD20 therapies
- Larry Steinman – Neurologist and former chair of the immunology program at Stanford University. Pioneer in new therapeutics for multiple sclerosis (natalizumab), DNA vaccination. Member of the National Academy of Sciences and National Academy of Medicine
- Amit Bar-Or –Neurologist, Director of the Center for Neuroinflammation and Neurotherapeutics, Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania. Pioneer in the roles of immune cell:brain-cell interactions and therapies in neuroimmunological disorders.
- Jose Obeso – Neurologist. Pioneer in clinical development of deep brain stimulation for the treatment of Parkinson’s disease and defined mechanisms associated with myoclonus, tics and dystonia. Director of CINAC neuroscience center in Madrid, professor of neurology at CEU-San Pablo University
- Lawrence Hirsch – Neurologist and chief of the division of epilepsy and EEG at Yale University School of Medicine. Co-director at Yale Comprehensive Epilepsy Centre. Pioneer and leader in New-Onset Refractory Status Epilepticus (NORSE) and Febrile Infection‐Related Epilepsy Syndrome (FIRES) – lead on the current diagnostic criteria for NORSE and FIRES
Prof. Stephen L. Hauser said “I am delighted to join Accure Therapeutics as a scientific advisory board member. The Accure team is fantastic, and the company is well-positioned to become a leader in CNS therapeutics. Disorders of the brain represent the next great area for growth in biotechnology. As scientific advisors, we will collectively address the largely unmet needs for disease modifying therapies and help position Accure for success in developing innovative drugs against serious brain disorders that affect more than one billion people worldwide.”
CNS disorders are a leading cause of disability and a major cause of deaths worldwide, with prevalence set to increase due to an aging population. The CNS pharmaceutical market exceeds $80 billion (€73bn) per year and sustained growth is expected over the coming years.1
About Accure Therapeutics
Accure Therapeutics is a private translational R&D engine at clinical stage in the Central Nervous System (CNS) field. Based in Barcelona (Spain), it was launched in 2020 with a Series A funding led by Alta Life Sciences Spain I and supported by the Centre for Technological and Industrial Development (CDTI). This European company with an international mindset boasts a unique portfolio of three new chemical entity programs pursuing innovative targets – with potential to accommodate others. Accure aims to develop new disease modifying drugs to treat serious conditions such as optic neuritis, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease and epilepsy. With an experienced business and scientific team, Accure Therapeutics is one of the few companies that operate in an agnostic fashion on initial science to deliver cutting-edge drugs in CNS.
Media and analysts contact
Andrew Lloyd & Associates
Amanda Bown/ Juliette Schmitt
Tél. : +44 1273 675 100